Thursday 17 July 2014

A New Adventure - Building Our Trailer

July 18th Post - First of the walls going up.

Yesterday we worked the whole morning until 1PM.  We cleaned up, and had friends for dinner. This morning Rick is learning that his enthusiasm is not contagious until I have my coffee.  My darling husband does not need my grumpiness.  Maybe he can medicate my grumpy behaviour by providing me with my morning cuppa in when I open my eyes in bed.  That would not be deserved on my part!  Love you Rick!  Here are some photos of our labour:


Our method:  Glue, Caulk and Screw!!  




Where are the drill bits again?




 If one looks closely, one can see where the word door is printed in pencil. 
 I should have written "Welcome".


 Welcome!!!


July 17th Post - Bringing folks up-to-date

After considerate thought, we sold our Little Guy Trailer in the late summer of 2013 and started collecting material to build a new trailer.  This trailer will be a little larger than the Little Guy so that we can have a little galley inside, a dinette and room to get changed. The Little Guy trailer was basically a bed on wheels.

With the help of Denis Charest, we were able to start.  Denis helped us put together the steel for the base and he looked out for deals for us. Denis organized the construction of the steel frame. Denis also introduced us to Princess Auto - a great place to buy axles and wheels!  Denis also lent us several books and dvd's on how to build a trailer.  He is an amazing guy!  THANK YOU DENIS!


Here is the base.  If you look closely, we have already put three coats of rust paint on and under the frame.  The first coat was white, the second black to make sure that we covered everything and the last coat was white. Rick painted the tongue black.
Here is the wheel well and the floor.  We used 2 by 2's to frame the walls.

Aren't my hostas lovely!
 Rick is securing the base with bolts.
 We used a template to cut out the dinette window. We had to use a splice. 
The top part is bendable plywood and will curve around a frame.
 Here Rick is securing the splice for the window.

Rick looks very professional doesn't he!  Pen in pocket saw in hand. Hat on head/


There will be more to come at the end of the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment